Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Making of Mrs. Hale

     BOOK REVIEW:   Julia Hale ran off to be married in Gretna Green, following romance instead of common sense. But her tale isn't turning into a happily ever after. Her new husband is gone and she doesn't know where---or if he's ever coming back. Julia has no option but to head home to the family she betrayed by eloping and to hope they'll forgive her. Especially now that she might be carrying a baby from her brief marriage.
     Carolyn Miller's clean and wholesome Regency romances continue with The Making of Mrs Hale, following familiar characters as they learn how restoration can occur by finding hope and healing though a deep relationship with God. Full of rich and historical details and witty banter, this series continues to draw in fans of Jane Austen, Sarah Ludd, and Julie Klassen.
   
     MY REVIEW:   I have never before read a regency book about an elopement. It was different. Sadly, I can't say I enjoyed it as I usually do.
     Julia's marriage was fraught with difficulties---her husband always seeming to leave for unknown and lengthy periods of time. Meanwhile, her mother and brother protest most violently her remaining married to such a man. At every corner they compel her to break the match. But Julia is torn between their desires and the love she has for her absent husband.
     The story is rather slow, and feeble. Julia's story feels very pitiable, and I couldn't help wishing everyone would just let me tell them what to do. There is a strain of mystery, with someone intent on doing away with Julia's husband even at cost of harming Julia herself. However, as we are told who is behind the ill will, we only get to guess at the next steps, rather than figuring out for ourselves who the culprit is. I wouldn't condemn this book ( I realize that some books simply aren't my style ).  I really couldn't say what I would change to improve the story, it just had an underlying vibe to it that put me off.

I received a copy of this book from KREGEL PUBLISHERS, and was not required to write a positive review. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment