Thursday, February 22, 2018

An Unexpected Role

     BOOK REVIEW:   The devastation of a ruined summer. The gift of a second chance. Can Josie learn the lessons she needs in order to discover her true self?  After a humiliating event and overwhelming peer pressure, 16-year-old Josie flees her home to spend the summer with her Aunt on a South Carolina Island. Her fresh start turns into the summer of her dreams as friendships grow, romance blossoms, and a series of thefts surround her with excitement. However, when tragedy strikes someone close to her, Josie realizes there are more important things than her reputation. As she sets out to solve the mystery she has become entangled in, she not only realizes the importance of relying on her faith but along the way also discovers who God wants her to be.

     MY REVIEW:   I did not realize when I requested this book that it was a Young Adult book. I know, it's easily seen in the book review, but I got caught on the last sentence and wondered how the author would bring that about.
     To review this book on the basis of how I viewed it would be unfair, as I have discovered I do not like Young Adult fiction. It's all hormones and drama and sulking and really horrible judgment calls. Josie annoyed me to no end with her drama and pouting. But to review it from the perspective I can imagine it being written from, it is actually pretty good. I know teenagers really do face the bullying and poor self-image and lack of perspective expressed here. And I like the way God is brought into the story. Josie's mom is a Christian (maybe Catholic, from the sounds of it) and encourages Josie with Bible verses. Aunt Lily is less so, but there is that dynamic there. And the good guy also has a relationship with God. By these, this book would be Christian, but it's still Young Adult, which I still don't like.
   
  I received a copy of this book from BOOKCRASH and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment