Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Braving It

     BOOK REVIEW:   Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, home to only a handful of people, is a harsh and lonely place. So when James Campbell's cousin Heimo Korth asked him to spend a summer building a cabin in the rugged Interior, Campbell hesitated about inviting his fifteen-year-old daughter, Aiden, to join him: would she be able to withstand clouds of mosquitoes, the treat of grizzlies, bathing in an ice-cold river, and hours of grueling labor? Their Alaskan adventure---and two more over the next year---would test them and their relationship as never before. At turns poignant and humorous, Braving It is an ode to America's disappearing wilderness and a profound meditation on what it means for a child to grow up---and a parent to finally, fully let go.

     MY REVIEW:   If I were only judging this book purely by its level of interest and factual details, I would give it five stars, as it was very interesting and held my attention. However, the amount of language included was very disappointing. There are only a few words used, but they are used on every page.
     It was interesting to read about life in extreme Alaska---unbelievable cold in winter and swarming mosquitoes in summer. But the sound of the view is amazing.
     I can't even begin to imagine the hiking and canoeing they did in thier last journey---I only know I would never have been able to do it. :)

   I recieved this book from BLOGGING FOR BOOKS, per their blogger program. I was not required to write aught but an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment