Monday, August 8, 2016

Rhineland Inheritance


   The war is over; but the country is in ruins. Captain Jake Burnes and Captain Pierre Servais are sent  to the French/German border to keep contact with the American and French forces coming in to help. But these two captains always seem to get sidetracked.
   First, while going out to check some troops, they come across a smuggler, who, while he gets away, drops a solid gold cross. This makes the rumors of hidden Nazis treasure abound. Colonel Connors (who has a grudge against Burnes for beating his football team) and his patrol have it out for the two captains, and try to get them at every turn. Especially after finding the cross. Connors appears to be looking for the treasure as well.
   Secondly, Burnes decides to involve the German children in the search in trade for warm meals. The children can go where the army cannot; and they are not paid as much attention. But then cholera sweeps in, and Burnes and Servais are tied up trying to help them.
    Thirdly, Colonel Beecham needs to leave on a mission, leaving Burnes in charge. How much can go wrong? As the Colonel put it: "I keep asking myself how much damage one man can make in one day. But I've learned not to underestimate you, Burnes." (pg 150)
                 The Rhineland Inheritance is the first book in a series, "Rendezvous with Destiny". It is T. Davis Bunn's nineth book. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the others I read, but I did still like it.
 
 

   

1 comment:

  1. Have you read my T. Davis Bunn books? And am I really the first one to comment on your new blog? I like it by the way.

    ReplyDelete